Place and Time‎ > ‎July‎ > ‎

July 13

posted Jul 13, 2014, 4:42 AM by vfe_ai_venice.beske@wyo.gov   [ updated Aug 18, 2015, 7:45 AM by Travis Pollok ]

1866 On July 13, 1866, four companies of the 2nd Battalion, 18th U.S. Infantry, under the command of Col. H.B. Carrington, reached a point 8 miles north of Fort Reno, on the waters of the Powder and Tongue River, and established a military post. Before the troops had reached the new site, General Order 7, Department of the Platte, June 28, 1866, had officially named the post Fort Philip Kearny, after Maj. Gen. Philip Kearny who was killed at Chantilly, VA on September 1, 1862.

1886 The Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad reached Lusk on July 13, 1886