Place and Time Calendar‎ > ‎June‎ > ‎

June 13

posted Jun 13, 2014, 6:15 AM by vfe_ai_venice.beske@wyo.gov   [ updated Aug 18, 2015, 7:23 AM by Travis Pollok ]
1902 On June 13, 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt issued Proclamation 477 that enlarged the Yellowstone Forest Reserve. Created in 1891 as the Yellowstone Park Timber Land Reserve, its name was changed to Yellowstone Forest Reserve on May 22, 1902 by Proclamation of President Roosevelt. In 1907 by act of Congress, the name "Forest Reserve" was changed to "National Forest" and Yellowstone Forest Reserve became the Yellowstone National Forest. On July 1, 1908, the lands included within Yellowstone National Forest were divided among the Absaroka, Beartooth, Bonneville, Shoshone, Targhee, Teton and Wyoming National Forests and the name Yellowstone National Forest discontinued.