August 15

1842 On August 15, 1842, General John Charles Fremont and a small party of the 1842 "Exploring Expedition of the Rocky Mountains" climbed what Fremont named Snow Peak. It was later named Fremont Peak in his honor.

1906 On August 15, 1906, the "original survey of the government townsite of Riverton" was completed.

1980 The Harold McCracken Research Library of the Buffalo Bill Historical Center was dedicated. Read more about the library here.