1928 The Cheyenne Horticultural Field Station was authorized by Congress on March 19, 1928. The Station was established with the purpose of experimenting with and propagating shade, ornamental, fruit and shelterbelt trees, shrubs, vines and vegetables adapted to the local conditions. The Station was 2,139 acres with a 199-year lease from the City of Cheyenne. It was originally named the Central Great Plains Field Station. The Station was to complement the Northern Great Plains Field Station in Mandan, North Dakota and the Southern Great Plains Field Station in Woodward, Oklahoma. Its name was changed to High Plains Grasslands Research Station in 1974. Click here for more history and modern information on the High Plains Grasslands Research Station.