May 15

1873 On May 15, 1873, Captain William A. Jones, Corps of Engineers, was ordered to "proceed as soon as practicable to Northwestern Wyoming, and there make a reconnaissance of the country within the territory about the headwaters of the Snake, Green, Big Horn, Grey Bull, Clark's Fork and Yellowstone Rivers."

1886 The Sundance Gazette of May 15, 1886 reported a new town called Oil City, was being "laid off" at the oil camp. A post office was established there in 1887.

1916 Wheatland received a $12,500.00 Carnegie Library grant on May 15, 1916 to build the Platte County Public Library System.