1864 Fort D. A. Russell (now Francis E. Warren Air Force Base) was named in honor of Brig. Gen. David A. Russell, who was killed in the Battle of Opequon, Virginia, on September 19, 1864. First known as the Post on Crow Creek, the installation was officially designated Fort D.A. Russell by General Order 33, Department of the Platte, dated July 31, 1867. It was renamed Fort Francis E. Warren on January 1, 1930, and it was transferred to the Department of the Air Force on April 1, 1948.